Entering 2021, the Share & Grow Association (S&GA) and the Oklahoma Chinese Language Teachers Association (OKLCTA) are honored to host our very first Chinese writing competition for k-12 students.
The goal of the competition is twofold. First, it aims to motivate children not only to have a passion for studying Chinese but also to be more positive and courageous towards life. Second, it hopes to build a strong and vibrant multicultural community.
Children (K-12) from all over the United States are welcome to sign up.
To ensure the fair competition, all the contestants will be divided into the groups based on their levels of Chinese learning and ethnic backgrounds. Outstanding contestants who win the competition will receive exquisite prizes, and their works will also be published in “The Writing Collection: S&GA-OKCLTA k-12 Outstanding Chinese Works 2021”.
K-12 (kindergarten to the 12th grade) students
When the native language of either parent of the contestant is Chinese, the contestant will be classified into the Chinese native group. The organizer reserves the right to adjust the categories of participants.
III. The contestants’ groups:
All contestants are divided into six groups.
1. Chinese descents who have studied* Chinese systematically for
1) 0-3 years
2) 4-6 years
3) 7+ years
2. Non-Chinese descents who have studied* Chinese systematically for
1) 0-3 years
2) 4-6 years
3) 7+ years
* Study means that contestants have studied Chinese as a Language formally (i.e., in an immersive Chinese learning situation or in an after-school program specialized in teaching Chinese).
IV. Competition Rules:
1. All the genres and types of writing are encouraged.
2. Please do not include your real name, school name and other relevant information in the text.
3. Electronic works or handwritten works in either traditional or simplified Chinese are both acceptable; the essay should be within 1500 words (excluding punctuations).
4. All the essays are required to be original and unpublished works. Only one manuscript per contestant is allowed. Students must ensure that all the registration information is true. If a contestant is found to have violated the above requirements, his or her qualification will be cancelled; if such a violation were found after the Award ceremony, the award will be rescinded.
5. Evaluation criteria: Judges will score according to the following six aspects, (1) language (15%), (2) technical skills (15%), (3) structure (15%), (4) function (15%), (5) Discourse levels (20%), and (6) Comprehensibility (20%). See Appendix 1 for details.
V. Submission time:
January 16, 2021-March 13, 2021
VI. Submission method:
The format of the name of the essay is: registration date-essay title. Please upload the pdf. version or word version of the work to www.sharegrow.org .
First prize: one winner per each group, who will be conferred with an award certificate and a $20 gift card.
Second prizes: two winners per each group, who will be conferred with award certificates along with a $10 gift card per winner.
Third Prizes: three winners per each group, who will be conferred with award certificates along with a $5 gift card per winner.
Excellence prizes will be conferred to the chosen contestants, who will receive award certificates.
The winning results will be announced through email after April 3, 2021.
VIII. Promotion and publication of the award-winning works:
1. The winning works will be published in “The Writing Collection: S&GA-OKCLTA k-12 Outstanding Chinese Works 2021”.
2. The winning works will be advised to be submitted to the Chinese Language Teachers’ Association (CLTA) and published in the electronic magazine Selection of CLTA American K-12 Outstanding Chinese Works (Check Appendix 2 for an example). The name of the instructor will be published in the newsletter of the CLTA as an honor and the encouragement.
Our committee provides two Chinese writing lectures. Contestants are welcome to register on our website www.sharegrow.org
1. Time: Saturday, January 30, 2021
Speaker: Ms. Zhuang Yali
Topic: Writing Skills and Evaluation of AP Chinese
2. Time: Saturday, February 6, 2021
Speaker: Professor Zhang Jie
Topic: Requirements for the Selection of CLTA American K-12 Outstanding Chinese Works and the Selection of S&GA-OKCLTA k-12 Outstanding Chinese Works, 2021.
X. Contact information
Appendix 1: Selection criteria
Appendix 2: "Selection of Excellent Chinese Works by American Elementary and Secondary School Students"